Saturday, May 1, 2010

Decorative Cyrillic Alphabets

A seemingly deserted "Municipal Red Star Stadium" in heart of city.
A store that sells anything from electrical appliances, lamps to furnitures. The gigantic words shout for attention by saying literally : Say Yes to our prices!
No effort needed to guess what is offered in the shop, the word means bird and poultry in Russian.
An artistic name on the roof, I have problem figuring out what it is.
Central Market is the main market in the city, with retail outlet on the left in the picture, and on the right when the shop offers: gifts, souvenirs, watches, tablewares, paintings, bags and suitcases.
A non-descript two-storey building where you can send your umbrellas and shoes for repair, send your jewellery for engraving and even take photos in the studio!
Chain bookshop (Books and Books (Diminutive form)).
A repair shop where they take care of your reluctant watches and jewellery(for engraving). The words "срoчный ремoнт" mean express repair (service).
An official signboard of my university.
Although every Russian tells me not to trust their postal service, but I still harbour some hope in it to deliver my postcard to Yulia in the Russian Embassy in Singapore.
Names of veterans to commemorate their contribution.

A little shop selling gifts and souvenirs, festive looking isn't it?

I did not love Cyrillic alphabet at first sight. But I have grown to love it. Seeing them everyday on the streets supplies me with endless dosage of visual bliss, if I may coin it. When I do not understand them, I simply take a photo and check dictionary later. The process deepens my memory of new words that come into contact.

Cyrillic alphabet contains 33 letters, with 10 vowels, 21 consonants, and two non-vocalised letters. It was devised by a Greek monk St. Cyril in the 9th century, some of the letters were borrowed from Greek and Hebrew. As widely known, the alphabet is widely used in the Slavic national languages of Belarusian, Bulgarian, Russian, Rusyn, Bosnian, Serbian, Macedonian, Montenegrin and Ukrainian, and in the non-Slavic languages of Moldovan, Kazakh, Uzbek, Kyrgyz, Tajik, Tuvan, and Mongolian. It also was used in past languages of Eastern Europe, the Caucasus, and Siberia.

No comments:

Post a Comment