Monday, October 5, 2009

Under the Rainbow


A full arch of rainbow appeared before my window yesterday. The golden building bears testimony to the twilight glory.
来到俄罗斯的第一道彩虹,据说这里常常会出现彩虹。
Какая чудная радуга! Мне было очень повезло!

Under the Rainbow

I never knew the word "rainbow" could be used so extensively. Thanks to the the rainbow I saw that day, and I looked up the dictionary firstly to find out how to spell in Russian but only to discover more!

In Russian, “радуга” means rainbow and it shares the same root with another word “рад”, which means happy!! With that, we have adjective “радужный” and adverb “радужно”.

“Радужный” means optimistic, bright, rosy, for instance "радужные надежды "
( optimistic expectations) and "радужные ожидания / предвкушения" (rosy anticipations).

When one is in very high spirits, we say "у него радужное настроение". To look at things at bright side, we can use adverb like this : "радужно смотреть на все"!

I hate the inadequacy of my little camera which failed to capture the full glory of its beauty! Here and now, I miss all my photographer friends, at Zaobao or beyond, e.g. Guo-ming who was with me on assignment in Cambodia in 2007, where we saw rainbow at Angkor Wat. In awe and speechless, we sat down on the grass with the rest of the tourists...marvelled but in almost drop-pin silence.

My Russian friend with the usual stoic look, not quite understood my joy, said plainly: " You will see it so often here. Relax."

But little does he know that rainbow in Singapore is obstructed or sliced by too many tall buildings, and we often work till night falls and don't quite remember how it looks like anymore.

Rainbow is ephemeral but the happiness of viewing is not, I would like to register my happiness here, no matter how transient it was.

彩虹人生

俄语的“彩虹”是“радуга”和“рад”(高兴) 属于同一字根,而衍生出的形容词“радужный”和副词“радужно”都有愉快、高兴的意思。

当一个人对前景乐观,或者对未来有乐观的展望,我们说一个人有“радужные надежды” 或者”радужные ожидания / предвкушения ” 。当他心情漂亮的时候,我们说他 “у него радужное настроение”。

副词是这样用: “радужно смотреть на все”,凡事往好的一面看!

原来看到彩虹真的要开心起来!

看到彩虹的前一天,我到住所对面的商店买手套,50%的折扣,害我心动的买了两对。一对褐色,一对黑色。一对是英国品牌,一对是中国制造,不过相信都是来自中国的。

今天俄语老师看到我的手套也嚷着要买同一品牌的,于是下课后我带她去同一商场。怎么知道才两天的功夫,50%已经变成20%,还从一个瞒客气的女店员换成一个象流氓一样的死家伙,对我的老师一点都不客气。他不耐烦的让老师试了几对,她都没有看上,依依不舍的再看我的手套一眼,她就回家去了。她对我说:“你真幸运!”

我不期望我幸运,我期望我天天心情好,我和我的家人和朋友,个个出入平安,那也就够了。

Вчера в 6 часов, я в первый раз увидела радугу из моего окна. Такой красивый вид! Говорят, что в Калининграде часто бывает радуга, особенно после дождя на сумеречном небе.

No comments:

Post a Comment